Saturday 16 November 2013

a little list about a little country


I thought I'd write a list of things I've come to realise about the United Kingdom since I've been here.


1. never tell Heathrow you're thinking about staying up to 6 months.

They'll kidnap you. See, when they say you can stay up to six months they don't actually mean it, it's just a awesome joke they put for fun on the UK border official website.

7 hours people. 7 hours. 

2. you can really see God's beauty in his creation here.

There is a reason this place is known for it's gorgeous landscape and it's always in films (including Harry Potter btw). It's incredible. It's the real-life land of fairytales. I always find myself staring outside the window on the same route Donny and I travel down even though I see it all the time. 

3. the weather has identity issues. 

Don't get me wrong, it does always seem to rain like Scotland's stereotype. However there's one thing that the Scot's actually complain about: the illusion of a hope for good weather. When it does come out, the sun makes it's presence for about 15 minutes and then just disappears--and then everyone's like, "really Sun? I dressed for you. Not cool." 

4. sheep are everywhere.

I mean everywhere. Sheep have sheep. And they are dare devils. These buggers come out into the streets like "What? I own this road". They're on the edge of mountains just walking around casually. And they just look at you--you're like two feet from a sheep and it's like "sup". ...okay, soo this might be just me and cause I think they'll so interesting. And the little lambs are precious!



5. food doesn't make sense.

Scones are biscuits. Biscuits are cookies. Cookies are desserts. Fries are chips. Chips are crisp. Bangers are sausages. and PANCAKES AREN'T FOR BREAKFAST. What is this madness!?  Also just so you know chocolate is way better in the UK than America. And they have American candy stores and you know what they have? Bacon flavoured chocolate. And pop tarts are apparently candy also. MURICA everybody. 

6. castles, castles everywhere. 

I think this title speaks for itself. 


7. Scotland and rainbows.

See, I freak out when I see rainbows. I'm like the queen of spotting rainbows. And when I do I act like I've never seen one in my entire life. And Scotland is the land of rainbows. No wonder their national animal is a unicorn. But everyone here is just like "oh, yea. A rainbow, wow." Appreciate your rainbows people!



8. face it America, the rest of the world doesn't care about your sports.

One big thing I noticed over here is that football (soccer) is the world's sport--no questions. We are basically the only part of the world that do not have a large appreciation for the sport. And those that do follow it in America follow the European teams. American Football is pretty small to the outside--only the hipster Brits like it.

9. you think we should complain about gas.

Petrol. Apparently that's gas. And it's immensely expensive. I'm pretty sure when British people fill up their tanks, they also have to offer up a piece of their soul too (making horcrux's). Not sure about that actually. But who knows.


10. Scot's love the American accent.

 It's like how we all love European accents but switched. I swear I've almost been this close to having several new best friends just cause of my accent--that's if they weren't a girls at checkout counters who I'd never see again after that. But hey. 

11. Having a wedding in Scotland idealistic.

It's scenery that most people dream of. There are beautiful churches everywhere, castles, and landscape to die for. I found my dress on a miracle and got my venue and church with only months before the wedding. It really has been a blessing. 


Overall, I love it.


I have one thing to suggest to everyone--travel. Come to Scotland. See and learn everything I mean. And not only Scotland, see the world. We're not even close to being done with seeing new sights, meeting new people.






2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS C! You are such a talented writer babe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Court! I am so glad you have a blog! Only 6 days til I get to experience some of these except for the 7 hrs in immigration I am okay with missing out on that one...haha... I love this "Appreciate your rainbows people" its bloody brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete